mamamusings

elizabeth lane lawley's thoughts on technology, academia, family, and tangential topics

Tuesday, 5 October 2004

swag-o-rama

David already listed the remarkable amount of swag that the Microsoft Search team provided to the “Search Champs”—but he left before the final bonus, which was a $120 gift certificate at the Microsoft company store. w00t!

I bought a new Bluetooth mouse, which I wasn’t sure would work with my Mac…but it does, perfectly. I’ve mapped some of the thumb buttons to Exposé, which is amazingly convenient. My trackpad has been causing some thumb pain for me recently, so this will be a really useful acquisition.

I also picked up a pile of gifts for the kids, for colleagues, and even for myself. Lots of books and branded merchandise, rather than software, since RIT has an academic alliance license and a site licensing agreement that get me all the MS software I need.

Tonight I’m off to the blogger/geek dinner in Bellevue, and tomorrow I’ll head back home. All in all, it’s been a very interesting and enjoyable trip.

Posted at 7:06 PM in: technology
Trackbacks

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://mamamusings.net/mt/liztrack.cgi/860

Comments
Comment from David Weinberger on October 5, 2004 11:00 PM (Permalink to Comment)

Aw, you have to share, Liz!

Comment from Phil Bradley on October 6, 2004 10:08 AM (Permalink to Comment)

Yes, it was a little like winning one of those competitions where you get to run around a supermarket like a thing demented grabbing what you can under a strict time limit! I actually managed to get something that didn't have 'Microsoft' written all over it as well which I thought was quite amazing. The whole thing was quite fun.

Comment from Chris Pirillo on October 7, 2004 8:06 AM (Permalink to Comment)

And I have the picture to prove it...

She was so important, she got to wear TWO name badges.

Comment from Buzz Bruggeman on October 12, 2004 12:33 AM (Permalink to Comment)

I felt like it was Christmas!
Your presentation was sensational! Can you E-Mail me your Powerpoint presentation?

Comment from Marc Orchant on October 12, 2004 6:54 PM (Permalink to Comment)

Actually, I think Liz and Robin Good tied for first prize in the "buying for others" category (Loren Heiny was not far behind). It was a very nice way to wrap up the event and really provided some insights into each of the Search Champ's inner workings to watch what they were buying.

Comment from Liz Lawley on October 12, 2004 7:16 PM (Permalink to Comment)

Marc, that's an interesting point. I wonder if they were watching us with an eye towards behavioral patterns, or scrutinized our purchases after the fact. :)

The stuff I brought back was a big hit with my kids, especially the younger one; see here.

Comment from viksra on November 22, 2004 6:43 PM (Permalink to Comment)

Hey Chris Pirillo! I watched you all the time on TechTV! I just happened to stop by here from Google while searching for what goodies the people at MS gave!

-viksra